Saturday, July 7, 2012

A drive -by lookie-loo...

soon to be...studio.
That's what your getting today folks...a drive by lookie-loo...a sneak peek...a little looksie...a peep at what will be ...wait for it...wait for it...drum roll please...the new studio!!! But man is it ever slow coming...we are waiting...and waiting some more for everything to be in place so we can inhabit this newly renovated space. I keep telling myself,"be patient" because I know it will be worth the wait. The owner of this building is doing a lot for us on the inside by getting it ready to be a clay studio...honestly, up and beyond what I would expect. And of course, everything moves a little slower in the summer.
ex-hotel bar turned studio...
But lets talk about the outside of this space for now. The studio space is conveniently  located on the main street that runs through our little town of Beaver Falls, PA. It is part of a great old brick building that at one time was a thriving hotel on the lower end of town. The actual space that we will be in is located behind the two minty green facades. It is a double store front that is connected on the interior. The one side opens directly on to the sidewalk and the other side has an inset covered entrance. My father-in-law, who has lived here since the late 20's, told me that that particular space used to be the bar for the hotel and has seen its share of troubles. Well, not anymore folks...currently the building is part of a supportive services group that assists people with varying challenges to become mostly  independent and eventually live on their own in the community of their choosing. As part of our deal there, we will also provide a "class" of sorts once a month for those residents that would like to participate. 


Like I said in the last post, we plan to offer classes for both children and adults, "rent" out studio space to those who already have a little experience, offer a clean retail gallery space, and also make our own work from this space. I am anxious to get it going... in the meantime I have plenty to keep me busy but I still feel like the little man in my terrarium...waiting ever so patiently and peering in through the glass.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As said innumberable times by my grandmother, the matriach of my famiglia, "patience is a virtue", and just recently heard in Cory Bookers commencement address at Stanford on June 17th " embrace frustration to affect positive change". I wish you double happiness and joy in your new space. Jade

Christina said...

As you know Kyle. It took us a whole year to open up our little space here in Smicksburg, and there were lots of frustrating moments. Some days I was very impatient. Other days I felt defeated, weather it be time, things being complicated or even those people who can be quite difficult and pessimistic about your future success. There were some days that frustration made me feel like I wanted to throw in the towel, but what it was really doing was making me more determined to get those doors OPENED! Wishing you ALL of the Best and VERY MUCH Success. Christina