Saturday, December 8, 2012

Santa Came Early...


This week as I was scurrying around getting things ready for Christmas...shopping, decorating, cleaning up this house...Santa paid me an early visit! HO HO HO, I got my new kiln! This is a major thing for me as I have never had my own brand new electric kiln. I have had a couple clunkers that I used as bisque kilns that I either got free or really cheap but not a new one and not a nice shiny digital Skutt either. Just look at that baby, look at those bricks...no chips or chunks torn out, no hanging or bulging elements, no shards embedded into the soft brick, no glaze stuck anywhere! Maybe I just won't fire it....ha, NOT.

The kiln has a new home in the new super secret studio. I have been getting all my stuff into the new space and slowly getting ready to pump out a very big body of cone 5/6 mid-range work... and now, I'm pretty much ready. This has been a long and somewhat difficult transition from firing the wood kiln with Nancy at Little Mahoning Creek Pottery, who is now 2 hours away, to deciding to go all electric in a somewhat weathered old mill town. Thanks to the love and support of my wonderful wife and her family here in the greater metropolitan area of Beaver Falls, we are making it happen.

And while I am in the thanking mood, let me say thanks to all those folks who have been keeping me busy sending out orders. MUCH APPRECIATED!

While Santa was dropping off my big present at the studio, he slipped a little something in my stocking too...via Barbara Donavon down in Baton Rouge. I purchased this really cool, shifty-eyed, wild hog mug from Barbara when I saw the recent post on her blog...which you too can see by clicking on the link just above or over on the side bar blog roll. She is donating 100% of all the sales from these mugs to CERF+...Craft Emergency Relief Fund...monies that will be going to help artists recover from Hurricane Sandy. Click on the link to check it out...or maybe see if Barbara has any more mugs left in her Etsy shop by clicking HERE. Its a great cause and I applaud Barbara's efforts to lend a hand...and it was a good excuse to finally purchase one of her mugs that I have been checking out for some time now!

Stay warm...

5 comments:

barbaradonovan said...

Aw shucks...Thanks Kyle! Only 3 mugs to go! That bright shiny kiln looks super - Congrats! I was surprised how much I liked the lid lifter thingy too. Welcome to the full time cone 6 dark side :)

littlemahoningcreekpottery said...

I have been watching and waiting for this blog. Woo Hoo you finally got it. I am happy for you

Ben Carter said...

Congrats on the new kiln. I look forward to seeing all the pots that kiln will fire in the near future.

k.houser said...

Thanks everybody...and I am excited...fresh pots coming soon!

George Evanko said...

Hi Kyle,
A bright shiny new Skutt kiln for you.....just one question -- how did Santa get it down the chimney??
Seriously, I can hardly wait to see the pots you bring out of it.
Please post pictures as soon as you're able to.
Merry Christmas to you and your family.